2017 Broadside Contest
The UA Student Broadside Contest is administered by the School of Art Book Art and Letterpress Lab. Due to financial restrictions, only full-time UA students are eligible to receive prize money for these contests, but community members in good standing with the UA Letterpress Lab are welcome to submit and are eligible to win with no prize money component.
Five winners of the Broadside Contest will be paired with winners of its parallel contest, UA Student Poetry Contests, to create a limited-edition broadside reproducing an excerpt or the entirety of one of the poetry winners’ poems. Upon completing this collaboration, student winners will be awarded $100 each.
- To be eligible, artists must have letterpress printing experience with the School of Art Book Art and Letterpress Lab.
- Please submit three images for consideration.
- Your submission of images can represent a sample of your previous two-dimensional artistic work and range. At least one image must be of work with letterpress edition printing.
- Submissions must be formatted as JPGs or PDFs and must not include the artist’s name.
- All three images should be uploaded together as one single submission.
- Deadline: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 by midnight MST.
To submit, click here.
2017 UA Student Contest Winners
We are delighted to congratulate the five writers and five visual artists who won the 2017 UA Student contests:
- Academy of American Poets Award: Claire McLane
- Poetry Center Awards: Thomas Dai and Charlie d'Eve
- Margaret Sterling Memorial Awards: Peyton Prater and Michelle Repke
School of Art awards:
- Jade Peterson
- Ashley Fitzpatrick
- Melissa Yee
- Maria Lee
- Peyton Prater
Save the date to come celebrate with us on May 4, 2017, where we will have a reception to celebrate the MFA Graduate Readings and also the exhibit of the broadside collaboration between these winning writers and artists. If you can't make it on May 4, the exhibit will be on display from May 1 through May 26 in the Jeremy Ingalls Gallery of the Poetry Center.
Congratulations, all! And thanks to all who submitted.
Broadside Contest Winners
The Poetry Center’s Spring Poetry Contests and the LaVerne Harrell Clark Fiction Award are linked to another contest for UA fine arts and design students. In this contest, art students design broadsides for winning poems and stories. The best designs are printed at the UA Book Arts and Letterpress Lab.
- 2015: Katherine Killian, Travis Boswell, Jiasi He, Jared Pinon, Andrew Shuta